Monday, 9 April 2012

E-Book Reading


I have just finished my first novel on Kindle and wanted to share some thoughts.
I got "It" by Stephen King from Kindle Store for £4.99.  I'm not sure how much it is in paperback but this doesn't seem appreciably cheaper.  For what is essentially a no-cost item for the publisher I think this is too expensive.  I still can't quite understand how e-book publications are the same price as actual books.
One advantage for this book as -book is the size.  I looked for the paperback in Waterstones, and it is a doorstop at well over 1,000 pages.  With my reading style of never creasing the spine this would have been a tricky read in paperback.  No such trouble with e-book.
I read this on the Kindle app on my Android phone and on my iPad.  I surprisingly enjoyed the experience on my phone more.  The small screen size is actually a help as it's easy to read in small chunks.  The constant page turns are quite satisfying.
One major issue reading across 2 devices though was that the sync capability across devices just didn't work.  The Kindle app is supposed to sync to the furthest page whichever device you are on but this rarely worked, meaning I was having to skip forward if I moved to the other device manually.   This was frustrating if I didn't know what page I was on and the other device was not with me.
One other major thing I just can't get past at this point is that it doesn't feel like my book after reading it.  It's still just a data fil sitting on a server.  Maybe that had more to do with the fact that I didn't love this book, I don't know.  I'll have to read more on it to see.
Maybe it would be different also with a real Kindle, and not just an app on another device.  They do look far more comfortable and more like books with the e-ink screen.
So once again I am reserving judgement!

No comments:

Post a Comment